Grain-Free Butter Bread
Without wheat flour and yeast, it won’t be true bread. But if you’re off carbs, and have been dreaming about a nice slice of buttered toast with your eggs, this is well worth a try.
6 Large Eggs
1 1/2 cups finely ground almond flour
1 teaspoon fine salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup melted butter
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Separate eggs. Crack each egg into your hand and let the whites run into a bowl. Place yolks in a second bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter a loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Place almond flour in a food processor. Add salt, baking powder, and egg yolks. Pour in melted butter. Pulse, scraping down the sides once or twice, until mixture comes together.
- Sprinkle cream of tartar into the egg whites. Whisk until soft peaks form. Transfer about 1/3 of the mixture into the food processor. Pulse on and off, scraping mixture down with a spatula as needed, until well blended. Scrape mixture into the bowl with the egg whites. Fold together until well combined but still airy. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Run a thin knife along the edge bread and let rest for 10 minutes. Turn bread out onto a wire rack and cool to room temperature before slicing.
Will it toast? Yes! Even better, top the bread with sliced strawberries. To run with this strawberry shortcake idea, you could add a spoon of sugar to the batter, and you’d just be some whipped cream away from a pretty decent, low-carb treat.